Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Bellydance is not for wimps.


Almost 2 years ago I got a call from my best friend asking me if I'd like to take a dance class with her and some other friends. I love to dance so my interest was immediately peaked. Then she told me it was a bellydance class. I wasn't sure what to expect but I figured what-the-heck.

The first night of class there were a hand full of newbies like us, but there were also several women there who were taking this introductory course for the third or even fourth time. I really didn't know what to make of that. I figured maybe they hadn't built their stamina up enough to move on to the next level. Or something. I just didn't know.

The instructor introduced herself as Rajah and told us that in 8 weeks time we would learn the choreography for an entire dance routine which we would perform at the upcoming Hafla (sort of a dance party for bellydancers.)

Was I terrified? You bet your sweet shimmy, I was!

Before this class, I had never had any formal dance training - though I've been told I'm no slouch on the dancefloor at a nightclub. But I was looking for a new form of exercise, something I would enjoy and that wouldn't seem like work, and I was determined to give it a go.

Fast forward four weeks. My friend had decided that she is not a bellydancer and she bowed out gracefully, but I was hooked. I loved the sounds, the rhythms, the costumes. It was all so strange and beautiful.

Now, almost two years later, I still love it. Rajah, who almost exclusively taught the modern egyptian style, has moved away. Sahdia is now our instructor and she enjoys incorporating other styles into our training and she's teaching us about tribal fusion this session. There is so much variety in the syles of bellydance, and there are new fusions of existing styles that pop up.

As I learn from these wonderful instructors and research styles on my own, I'm finding that I love tribal fusion and gothic bellydance. Their darker, edgier costumes, music and sinuous moves (and sometimes pops and locks) appeal to my dark side. My instructor is encouraging me to do a solo at our next group performance - it would be my first - and I think I want to do a gothic style dance. I'm currently looking for the perfect song around which I can build the perfect costume to set the mood for my perfect dance. I'm thinking perhaps Jill Tracy or Switchblade Symphony but I'm always open to suggestions if you have them.

So did I perform in that first Hafla? Well, yes I did, but not well, I'm afraid. My shyness, fear and lack of confidence saw to that. But I have performed twice since and each time I did better than the one before so at least there is evidence that I'm learning and growing in the tradition.

I joined the ranks of those women who took the beginning session multiple times - I took it five times, myself. The reason? It's hard! Go on youtube and check out some of the videos. Those wonderful women make it look so easy but it's not. It's incredibly fun, artistic and rewarding, but Bellydance is not for wimps.

I have since moved up to the next level - intermediate, as it were and there's just no telling how long I'll hang out there. Years, most likely. And one day I'll make it look easy too.

1 comment: